Thursday, April 26, 2007

Commentary: Sotir: What, Now It's Web 3.0??? (Updated 4/30/2007)

All I can say is that I hope you were all paying attention when I noted that the WWW has been upgraded to Web 2.0. I say that because this morning I ran across an article in informationweek.com about Web 3.0. Basically, the concept is to create a 'semantic Web development environment and database that will make computers smarter.' According to Information Week, 'Semantic technology, which helps computers understand data better, is particularly useful when combining large data sets...A keyword search generally returns only documents that contain the queried keyword. A semantic search would return ones related to the specific meaning of the search term (i.e., military tank but not water tank), as well as those related to synonyms (i.e., armored vehicles). '
OK, I think I have effectively embraced the interactive/collaborative/participational/'we are the world' side of Web 2.0 but before I even feel totally comfortable with that ( BTW: my original Web 2.0 commentary has not even been archived yet), they start developing Web 3.0. Hey, I use the browser on my cell phone several times a day. I check my Blogs AND I can download the newest Podcasts off of my phone. I am there, baby. Oh yeah. Bleeding edge blah,blah,blah. But now Web 3.0 touts an effort to make computers even smarter. Uh,what about us? Who's working on making US smarter?

I don't know about you, but I have to go upgrade my memory chips and take an aspirin 4.0.


update: April 30, 2007: For a very comprehensive article on Web 2.0 with an educational bent, check out:
http://www.techlearning.com/showArticle.php?articleID=196604380 The Web 2.0 'Pocket Dictionary' is especially good.